Sunday, November 10, 2013

Beginning of Homeschooling.

I have embarked on a journey with my family and within this journey I was having problems with the school system. From the lack of communication with the staff and the less than adequate curriculum, I wanted something better for my kiddos. I only have one kid in school right now ( thankfully) so this will be a 'trail' to see if we can do this. We have a crazy schedule trying to plan everything around the school day and the vacation times that they schedule for the kids. I can not stand that it has really come to the schools getting their test scores and then they let the kids move on. I am not bashing the schools or teachers but there has to be a better way. I have been contemplating home school for some time now; this is in NO WAY a pop thought to see if it could happen. I feel that if I can take education for my kiddos in my hands then maybe I can give them more than what they would have gotten in public school. Lord knows that I can not afford private school at all.

I have done some extensive research in trying to find a curriculum for my son and getting ideas and information from around the country. I found that there are so very many different ways to home school and that there is no set way to make it work. So much different than the Common Core teachings. Which I feel is good and bad. We have to have a schedule. We have to have a way of doing things to make sure that we are following the proper teachings and have some way of discipline in the school atmosphere. I will be uploading my way of doing things and hopefully it will help you also if you are in the start-up point also.


Here I have a basic set up with some of the text books that I have found to start with. While my son is a second grader there are great points in the few first grade books that we can always reference. The computer lab stuff is Hooked on Phonics. He has some issues with reading and comprehension so I am hoping that will help him along the way. The Completed/Graded box. I love this. I took two cereal boxes, cut the tops, put on some construction paper and we have paper slots. ^_^ I also have a folder for this weeks worksheets. 

I have made a Donald Box. In this box I have his basic school supplies. A big box of crayons, two sets of markers, a set of colored pencils, his daily journal, and his pencil box. In this pencil box he has: pencils, a couple pens, a highlighter, pencil eraser tops, a big eraser,  glue sticks, index cards, scissors, and a calculator. Of course there is a BIG dictionary to be able to be used. 



This is the front of the door. I have paired a strength with a weakness in his blocks and each day will focus on a different educational block. We will have P.E. during his recess time and we will have Art class once a week, music theory weekly, computer lab every few days and library time at least once a week. Every day we will cover our vocabulary and test information; and reading will be done daily. Even on our off days. Field trips will be taken frequently. ^_^




Here is our 'school day' schedule. Seems a little crazy right? We do the basic fun simple things first thing in the morning. Do the more in depth stuff after we put the little on down for a nap - that way when he wakes up there will be more independent time and self study. 




I have more stuff to share but I will get there as I can. I am very excited about this and I am always learning and finding new things. Thanks so much to everyone who is there to help out! This is going to be a fantastic journey and I really think this will be a great thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment